Videotape lasts about 10-15 years, then it starts to deteriorate. Most commonly, it will suffer from sticky shed syndrome and/or mould. Deterioration coupled with the rapid decline in the availability of legacy playback equipment is putting all video collections at risk.
By digitising your video collection you can ensure its longevity and preserve its value indefinitely. And in a digital form your content becomes usable, accessible and sharable so you can make the most of your content.
At DAMsmart, we have created a flexible service using a range of sophisticated technologies to digitise video content from virtually any videotape source to a wide range of digital file formats.
- Experienced - We have digitised 30 videotapes for Curtin University Library, 17,000 tapes for SBS Television and 55,000 hours of content for the Australian Government.
- Digitise virtually all videotape formats - We can digitise content from virtually any videotape, including Betacam, DVCPRO, U-matic, VHS, D-2, 1-inch, 2-inch, and many more. We maintain a global network of key VTR suppliers, so we have access to the most rare of format players.
- Any digital file - Depending on your needs, we can digitise your videotape into a wide range of file formats. For example, we can deliver Lossless JPEG2000 for preservation purposes, MPEG format for production and/or an h.264 format for access.
- Any sized archive - Because we run multiple streams of semi-automated and automated tape handling, our digitisation process is capable of operating 24
hours a day 7 days a week, so we can handle any sized job on virtually any timeline.
- Conservation specialists - We use a number of traditional preservation techniques to maximise the quality of the encoding process. These include tape
baking and tape cleaning. We also have a number of SMART techniques that will optimise even the most damaged of carriers.
- Optional Digital Asset Management (DAM) systems - We can design and commission a DAM system so that you can easily store, find & share your content. From a small single workstation system to an enterprise-grade solution, we can provide you with the tools to maximise the value of your new digital collection. Learn more…
Call 02 6242 6456 to talk to us about digitising your video collection.